How to Secure Your Garage Door to Protect Your Home
Your garage door is one of the most vulnerable parts of your home. It’s big, it’s usually made of flimsy materials, and it’s easy to break into. This makes it a prime target for burglars, especially if your home is located in a high-crime area. Luckily, there are a few steps you can take to secure your garage door and deter would-be thieves.
- Install a security system: A security system is one of the best ways to deter criminals from breaking into your home. If you have a security system, make sure the control panel is located near the garage door so you can easily arm and disarm it when you come and go. You should also consider installing motion-sensor lights around the perimeter of your garage. These will turn on if someone approaches, making it more difficult for them to break in undetected.
- Strengthen the door: Your garage door is only as strong as its weakest point, which is usually the door itself. If your door is made of wood, reinforce it with metal bars or plates. If it’s made of metal, make sure the hinges are welded shut so they can’t be pried open. You should also install a deadbolt lock on the inside of the door so it can’t be opened from the outside even if the handle is breached.
- Get an alarm: An alarm system will alert you (and your neighbors) if someone tries to break into your garage. You can get a traditional home security system that covers your entire home, or you can get a standalone system that only protects the garage. Either way, make sure to include sensors on all doors and windows, as well as motion detectors inside thegarage itself.
- Keep valuables out of sight: If you keep valuables in your garage, make sure they’re hidden from view so potential burglars can’t see them through the windows. Store them in cabinets or drawers rather than leaving them out in the open. And if you have particularly valuable items, consider investing in a safe that can be bolted to the floor or wall for extra security.
- Light it up: Burglars like to operate undetected, so good lighting is essential for deterring them. Install light fixtures inside and outside of your garage so there are no dark corners for burglars to hide in. You should also consider getting a timer switch for your lights so they automatically turn on and off at set times throughout the day and night.
6 Consider adding video surveillance: Video surveillance is another great way to deter burglars from targeting your home. If they see that their every move is being recorded, they’re much less likely to attempt a break-in. cameras around the perimeter of your property, as well as inside the garage itself so you can keep an eye on everything at all times.
7 Talk to your neighbors: One of the best things you can do to protect your home is to develop relationships with your neighbors. Exchange contact information with them so you can easily get in touch if something happens while you’re away from home. And if you’re going on vacation, let them know so they can keep an eye out for suspicious activity while you’re gone.”
8 Get insurance: No matter how many security measures you take, there’s always a chance that something could happen – which is why it’s important to have insurance.” If your homeowners insurance policy doesn’t cover burglary or theft, consider getting additional coverage from a standalone insurer.” That way, you’ll be reimbursed for any losses if worst comes to worst.”
Garages are one of the most vulnerable parts of homes because they’re typically made of flimsy materials and easy to break into . There are several ways homeowners use secure their garage doors including installing alarms ,securing weak points ,and increasing lighting . One important step that isn’t often talked about Is talking with neighbors . By forming relationships with those who live around us we create support systems and safety nets . Lastly , no security measure Is foolproof which Is why having Insurance Is recommended . Homeowners should find out what their current policy covers and supplement as needed . By taking these precautions we increase our chances prevent future crimes .