‘Tis the season…for burglaries. As families travel to visit loved ones for the holidays, opportunistic criminals see this as the perfect time to break into unoccupied homes. But there are steps you can take to protect your home, even when you’re not there. Here’s what you need to know.
- install a home security system: This is the best way to deter burglars and ensure that your home is protected while you’re away. A professionally installed and monitored home security system will notify the authorities if someone attempts to break into your home, even if you’re not there. Be sure to let your neighbors know that you have a security system in place so they can keep an eye on your property while you’re gone.
- Set timers for your lights: A dark house is a clear sign that no one is home, which makes it an easy target for burglars. To make it look like someone is home, set timers for your lights so they turn on and off at random intervals. You can also leave a TV or radio on while you’re away to create the illusion that someone is inside.
- Keep valuables out of sight: If a burglar does manage to break into your home, you don’t want them to have easy access to your most valuable possessions. So, be sure to keep all valuables out of sight and in a safe location before you leave for vacation. This includes things like jewelry, electronics, and important documents.
- Lock all doors and windows: It may seem like common sense, but many people forget to lock their doors and windows before leaving for vacation. All it takes is one unlocked window or door for a burglar to gain entry into your home, so be sure to lock up before you go!
- Stop mail and newspaper deliveries: An overflowing mailbox or pile of newspapers on the doorstep is a dead giveaway that no one is home. To prevent this from happening, stop all mail and newspaper deliveries before you leave town. You can also ask a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your property while you’re away.
- Get involved with Neighborhood Watch: By joining forces with your neighbors, you can help deter crime in your area and keep an eye on each other’s homes while everyone is away for the holidays. There are usually already established Neighborhood Watch groups in most areas, so all you have to do is get involved!
7.) Give us a call!: The professionals at Metropolitan Locksmith are here to help keep your home safe this holiday season! We offer a variety of services designed to help secure your property, including high-security locks, keyless entry systems, and much more! Contact us today to learn more about how we can help keep your home safe this holiday season!
The holiday season is upon us once again, which means it’s time for family gatherings, gift giving…and unfortunately, increased opportunities for burglaries. But there’s no need to worry! By taking some simple precautions—like installing a home security system and keeping valuables out of sight—you can protect your home from holiday burglaries. And if you’re looking for some extra peace of mind this holiday season, give us a call at Metropolitan Locksmith! We offer a wide range of services designed to help secure your property against criminals—including high-security locks, keyless entry systems, and much more! Contact us today to learn more about how we can help keep your home safe this holiday season!