I’ve been Burgled what can I do?
Unfortunately in my line of work I go to many burglary’s, the vast majority of burglary’s are not personal but when it happens to you it can feel very personal. Here are some tips to make you feel secure after a burglary.
1. Thieves use twitter and Facebook, don’t broadcast your holiday or trip away.
2. If you are going away for a few weeks make sure your lawn is mowed and lights are run on random timers. E.g one light on one day two on the next day, this will give the impression somebody is home. Not only lights but a radio can also be set to turn on.
3. If possible get a neighbor to close your curtains in the evening and open them in the morning.
4. NEVER leave keys hidden outside, if you need to leave keys make sure they are secured in a key safe fitted in a discrete location.
5. Alarms are a great deterrent for burglars, even a fake siren box fitted to the outside of your house can help and is very cost effective.
6. Gravel drive ways can be great you can hear people walking down the even when in bed, thieves don’t like to be heard.
7. Stand alone door or window alarms are a great way of alerting you to a window or door being opened. They are not very expensive and work very well.
8. Outside lighting is a must lights that work of sensors will alert you, passers by or your neighbors always check bulbs are working on a regular basis.
If you have been a victim of a burglary try not to worry, by following the simple cost effective steps above you vastly improve your chances of not falling victim to a burglary in future
If you have any questions or concerns please contact your local police station they will be happy to help, like wise if there is anything I can help with please contact me.